Tuesday, March 19, 2013

St. Patrick's Cathedral

When I was in Dublin I went to St. Patrick's Cathedral.  In the 400's when St. Patrick came back to Ireland as a bishop, he converted the Irish to Catholicism and baptized people at a well where the Cathedral is. A church has been here since the 500's but the one that is there now was built in the 1200's (800 years ago)!
The Cathedral



Inside the Cathedral
Inside the Cathedral - Something about the Knights of Saint Patrick


At the place where the well Saint Patrick baptized the Irish, workers found this stone underground.  It has carved crosses on it ad was found right at the spot of St. Patrick's well.

There is a big fountain where the well used to be.  You can see part of it in this picture.

One weird thing about the church is that it is not a Catholic Church.  During the 1500's the English made it a protestant church even though all of the Irish people living near the church were Catholic.  It is still a protestant church today. And you have to pay money to go inside. But the money is used to keep the building from falling down!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Josh,
    You are a very lucky 5th grader to be having such a wonderful experience in Ireland! Wow.....the St. Patrick's Day parade. Thank you for representing Erie and OLCS. I went to hear Miss Verity play in her Irish band on St. Patrick's Day. If you get a chance, go to the Dungarven Central Library on Davitts Quay and find out what the Irish children are reading. Have fun, Mrs. Crawford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Crawford!

      I have been going to the library a lot! I love it and they have great books and movies. I love, love, love the books "Boffin Boy." I keep checking 2 out at a time and then taking them back and getting more. I don't think he is Irish but I think he is English. There are some funny words and phrases he uses because he is not American. Sometime I look at the Irish books but they are in Irish not English. Today at the library I saw that the word 'zoo' is 'zu' in Irish!

      Thanks so much for looking at my blog!

      ~Josh

      Delete