Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kilkenny Castle









The day that the students came to Ireland, we picked them up at the airport.  On the way to Dungarvan, the bus stopped at Kilkenny Castle.

Kilkenny Castle is different then all the other castles I've seen because it has no ruins.  All the rooms are in good condition and they have furniture and painting and stuff inside.   The castle is more than 800 years old.  But the last family to live in it lived in the castle for 600 years.  They left the castle in the 1940's and gave it to the people.  It's a museum now. 

Your not allowed to take pics inside the castle but I found this one on the internet.  It is of a long room with a lot of paintings on the walls.


There was a lot of neat stuff around and inside the castle.  Here is a picture of a coat of arms above the gate.


A funny thing happened at the castle.  After the tour, we all lined up to use the bathroom before getting on the bus.  The girl's bathroom was working but the boy's was closed for cleaning.  So, we had to use the disabled one.  My Uncle went first into the disabled one.  It was a very old bathroom and there was a pull cord above the toilet.  My Uncle thought that was how you flushed the old toilet.  But,when he pulled it a really loud alarm started going off.  The cord was for calling help if a disabled person gets hurt in the bathroom.  My Uncle ran out of the bathroom and found the cleaning person to turn off the alarm.  I would not use that bathroom after that!

Picture of me and the students in from of the castle. I am right in the middle.

1 comment: