Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Different Names for Things

 

Even when the Irish speak English and not Irish they have somethings that have different names.  Here's a list of some things that have different names.

French Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps
Elevator = Lift
Mom = Mum
Car Truck = Boot
Car Hood = Bonnent
Windshield = Windscreen
Flashlight = Torch
Police = Garda
Parking Lot = Car Park
Rent a Car = Hire a Car
Trash Can = Rubbish Bin
Rain Boots = Wellies

There are also some other differences. 

When I was at the library, I told the librarian "Can I please check this book in".  She had no idea what I was talking about . She said  "check in, do you mean check out?"  I had to tell her that I wanted to return it. 

Also, people call me "Pet".  It is like when people at the store call you "buddy" or "pal".  But, here they call the kids "pet".

They also call groups of young people 'lads'.  They even call groups of girls lads.  There are 30 girl Mercyhurst students but the Irish people call them "lads."

Another funny thing happen with my Uncle Colin.  We were at a restaurant and the waitress brought the food to the table.  She asked him if he wanted more water but he didn't hear it so he said "what's that?"  She looked at him funny and then said "it's the potato and leek soup." Here, they don't say 'what's that?" when they don't hear or understand something.  So, the waitress thought he was asking what the food was.   

The Irish also say "your welcome" or "your very welcome" a lot.  But, they don't mean it like when we say your welcome after someone says thanks.   They say it when you go into a store or someplace.  It means they are happy to have you there.
 



2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    We haven't checked your blog in a while and I apologize.... That'll be something we do next week. Right now, it's 3:45 PM on Friday, April 12 and I'm about to leave to go home for the weekend, but I wanted to say "HI!" first!! Enjoy your weekend!
    Ms. Cairns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Cairns,

      Thank you for checking my blog. Ireland has been great but I do miss OLC.

      Best,

      Josh

      Delete