Monday, April 22, 2013

Famine Ship

In the 1840s, there was a big problem in Ireland.  Basically, most of the people only ate potatoes that they grew on their farms.  In 1845 the potatoes got a disease that made it so they would not grow.  Over a million Irish people starved to death.  A million others left Ireland to move to other countries.

I went to a museum that is on a famine ship like the ones that carried the starving people from Ireland.  There was about 40 people on the ship with me but there would have been 400 during the famine.  I can't imagine having that many people on the ship.  It seemed crowded with just 40.





There were a couple people who dressed up like they were in the 1800's and told us about life on the ship.  They played real people who had been on the ship.  This lady had 4 kids.  Both her and her husband died on the ship.  Her 4 kids made it to New York but there is no record of what happened to them after that.  One of them was a little baby.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Josh, I sent you and Aunt Ronni an email about this summer. did you get it? Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grandma,
      This is my blog not my email, but I did get your email. Is it the plane one or another one?


      Best,

      Josh
      P.S. email me the answer. Thanks

      Delete